Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Making a Workbench: Laying out the Workbench Base

HI!

I decided that I've probably spent enough time on the top for now. I'll start on the frame.

I wanted to plan out the steps I need to take and to get an idea of what more lumber I'll need. Here's the sketch I drew of the undercarriage of the workbench. 

Here are the steps I need to take (hopefully all of them, and hopefully they are in order):

1. Decide on the height of the workbench, thus determining the length of the legs. Finish height is 37-1/2" since I'm still 6'-5" tall.  
2. The undercarriage will be flush with the front of the top, and the legs will be inset from the ends by 2"
3. The leg pieces have to be cut first because there's some through wedged half-lap dovetails in the joinery. I calculated the maximum width of leg to be 6.9 cm based on taking 4 rip cuts from a 2 x 12 CVG Douglas Fir board. 

4. Size and cut the two-piece stretchers (going from front to rear of top). There are 4 stretchers, so I'll need 8 pieces laminated together. Their length has to include the tenons for the mortise and tenon joints. The tenons go through ONLY the inside piece of the leg and the tenons aren't seen once the legs are glued together. 
5. Choose the vise. I chose a Jorgensen quick release 10" face x 12" opening vise. At some point, I'll have to face the jaws, probably with hardwood. I've decided not to inset the vise in the underneath of the top. The mounting hardware needs a 3-7/8" x 12" clear space for installation. 
6. The stretchers aren't affected by the placement of the vise, but the rails are. The upper rails are flush with the front face of the top and the bottom rails are inset using a hidden half-lap wedge dovetail. The top rails have to be set down far enough from the underside of the top to allow the installation of the vise. 
7. Cut the joinery ...... mortise and tenons for the stretchers and half-lap dovetails for the rails. 
8. I'm constructing the undercarriage with enough room in it to add a center support and build drawers and / or shelving underneath the bench. Not sure yet if I want to do that, so I'll ensure I can if I, at some point, want to add them. 
9. Mount the vise. 
10. Assemble the undercarriage.
11. Attach the top to the undercarriage. 
12. Enjoy it! 

Sounds easy! CHEERS!

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment