Friday, January 22, 2016

Making a Workbench: The Basic Design

HI!

I ended up needing to make a new workbench for myself. I think it's an ambitious project and incorporates joinery that I haven't used before. Oh, bye the way, I'm trying to become a woodworker - a task that involves learning many, many brand new skills. In the past I've been kinda ham-handed as a woodworker - mostly a demolition type guy. Now I'm trying to step up my game. And, I'm trying to use a higher quality wood (better grades and species that the Orange Box store "whitewood"), and to use primarily hand tools. I've always been a believer that if you can do it by hand, then you UNDERSTAND what you are doing so I'm going to use as many hand tools as I can - minimizing the use of power tools.

The purpose of this blog is to entertain you and to document the process I'm going through. Please feel  free to offer any comments and suggestions about how to increase my skills.

The basic design .......

The basic idea is to create a top, create a frame for the top to sit on, add work holding devices (mostly dogs or vises) and finish all of it. Sounds really simple.

First step is to make a top. Usually, home built tops are either plywood or laminations of 2 x 4 on edge. This design calls for two sections of 2 x 4 laminates, each 6 boards, for a total width of each top section of 12" or so.

The two sections are separated on the frame by a row of boxes where the craftsman (maybe ME eventually, LOL), can put shavings, sawdust, tools, etc. without them getting in the way of work. I have a lot of thinking to do about the top, so I'll be back later with the explanation of the frame for the top.

Until then ....... CHEERS!!

Phil


No comments:

Post a Comment