Sunday, March 24, 2013

Bonsai - Revisiting

A few years ago, Kirsten gifted me a beautiful Juniper Bonsai. Despite what others might think, this is a genuine Bonsai. The definition of "bonsai" includes ....... 

"A bonsai is created beginning with a specimen of source material. This may be a cutting, seedling, or small tree of a species suitable for bonsai development. Bonsai can be created from nearly any perennial woody-stemmed tree or shrub species that produces true branches and can be cultivated to remain small through pot confinement with crown and root pruning. Some species are popular as bonsai material because they have characteristics, such as small leaves or needles, that make them appropriate for the compact visual scope of bonsai."

The Juniper that Kirsten gave me fits the definition. I have to admit that when I got the Juniper, I didn't know what to do with it. Deb was adamant - it had to stay outdoors! I might not have agreed with that then, but I do now. Reading about the Juniper bonsai, I find that the tree needs the seasons, and especially important is the colder weather that allows the Juniper to "rest" and go dormant. 

It's been outside for close to two years now, and it survived the construction that created our upstairs suite. Since the completion of construction it's rested comfortably at the base of the water feature we have in the backyard. Each day it gets morning sun, a little water, shade for the mid-day and full sun in the afternoon. It's healthy and growing and nearing the time when it needs to be pruned!

We went to the Home and Garden Show in Menlo Park today, and I got the chance to talk with a Bonsai pro who has more than one Juniper on display at the Show. It sounds like leaving the tree alone and leaving it outside for a couple of years was exactly the right thing to do (thanks Deb!!). The gentleman said to keep it watered, keep it in the sun, and groom it the way it tells you to groom it! We need to listen to the Juniper. Hmmmmm .... I wonder how I listen to the Juniper. 

More later. Deb and I are going to look at the tree, listen to what it's saying, trim a little here and a little there, stand back, relax, watch and trim a little more until the tree says "This is a perfect treecut for me! Leave me alone for a while," 




No comments:

Post a Comment